Red Slime Algae or Cyano Algae is one of the ugliest and pains a reef keeper will be subjected to at least once in their reef lifetime. First you might think that it’s some type of coralline algae that is growing on your rocks but think again. This algae is extremely terrible and difficult to remove from your fish tank. It not only spread like a wild fire it can harm your corals as well.
The best solution for removing Cyano Algae is a product called Chemi Clean. Chemi Clean is a form of anti biotic that attacks the algae breaking it down and eventually removing it completely from your system if the directions are followed correctly. This is definitely not a product that you want to over dose as it could cause harmful side effects to your tank.
Directions on using Chemi Clean:
- Take the provided spoon and add 1 spoon per every 10 gallons of water volume in the tank. IE: if you have a 60 gallon water aquarium you will take 6 spoon fulls
- You must wait 48 hours for the product to work
- At the 48 hour mark you will do a 20% water change
- You must remove any carbon substance from the aquarium
- You can leave the skimmer running (it will go crazy for a couple of days)
- You must add additional aeration to the tank ( The product will remove Oxygen from the water and the additional aeration will ensure your fish not dying)
Once the cycle is over you should have no signs of Cyano Algae. If the problem persists do another cycle until the algae vanishes from your system.
You can find Chemi Clean on Amazon or your local fish store.