Every person who I’ve shown my home theater pc to has been impressed. Not impressed by the sheer magnitude of the computer itself but of what the computer does in conjunction with the htpc programs I have installed. All of the parts that are posted below are guaranteed to work as it is a mirror image of my current and only build.
The HTPC build consists of the following parts:
- Case – 1 x Fractal Design Node 304 FD-CA-NODE-304-BL Black Aluminum / Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
- Processor – 1 x Intel Core i3-3240 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
- Mother Board – 1 x ASRock H61MV-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
- OS Hard Drive- Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive SH103S3/120G
- Hard Drives – 2 x TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5″ Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit
- Memory -1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-
- Keyboard / Mouse –Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad
Streaming device –
The general idea going into the project was to have a relatively small footprint and cost effective solution to the HTPC. The Fractal Node 304 gave me the flexibility of having a small footprint, the ability of adding a full sized graphics card and more than enough space for additional hard drives. The processor was selected because of the low power consumption on an I3 vs the I5 and I7 versions. This particular one was chosen because hd graphics were included and I did not plan on using this for anything other than an HTPC. The motherboard, and the memory was purchased because they were highly recommended from a friend who has used them in the past with zero issues.
As of the time of this posting I have yet to have any issues with the home theater pc. I run the server for 24 hours a day 7 days a week and only restart it once ever 2 week. Boot up time is almost non existent as the computer almost instantly loads into windows. I have also given my plex information to various family members / friends and trans coding multiple streams has remained lag free.